Queer Mobilization Fund’s Application is Open!
Request for Proposals
What is the Queer Mobilization Fund?
The Queer Mobilization Fund (QMF) was created in 2016 as a rapid response fund to support community mobilizations and projects that advance Queer and Trans liberation in the wake of NC House Bill 2 (HB2). The longterm vision and purpose of this fund is to support queer and trans people of color on the frontlines of struggles for freedom + liberation and to build power for and within queer communities. Many queer and trans people of color recognize the legacy of slavery, genocide, and violence that makes HB2 possible. It is with this reflective lens that illuminates our histories and inspires change in our realities, that queer and trans people of color are organizing to reclaim our futures.
Since our inception, QMF has supported grassroots organizing and community-building efforts across North Carolina. Historically we have primarily conducted rapid response funding, with grants ranging between $500-$750. After conducting a series of listening circles in 2018, we are shifting QMF’s model to receiving applications twice a year for requests up to $5,000. This effort will increase support for grassroots community and organizing efforts across the state.
We prioritize moving grants to LGBTQ, people of color led organizations doing work in North Carolina. QMF wants to support communities that are often barred from receiving financial support for their efforts. Our fund is able to support organizations and groups whether or not they have 501(c)3 status.
Here are the areas of work we are looking to fund in 2019-2020:
- Organizational development: Support for your organization to do strategic planning, organizational strengthening, development of organizational structures, processes, etc.
- Leadership development: Support for you or your organization to take advantage of opportunities to strengthen the leadership of LGBTQ people of color. This can be coaching, accessing trainings/conferences, or support for the creation of a leadership development program within your organization.
- Solidarity convenings/gatherings: Support for efforts that bring together LGBTQ people of color to relationship build, strategize, and extend solidarity efforts across issues, identities, and geographies.
- Healing Justice: Support for efforts that address trauma and healing with a political, social, economic, and spiritual framework.
Money and what else?
Grantees will have access to some technical assistance, capacity building, and training opportunities via a cohort where they can exchange and skillshare with each other. Participation in the cohort is not required to receive funding but is strongly recommended.
You can submit an application online, by phone, or by video. The application is reviewed by QMF’s community grantmaking panel, consisting of community members, activists, and organizers from across NC.
- February 17: Application opens
- April 1: Application closes
- May 1: Grant decisions announced
You can request up to $5,000. Each grant comes with an additional $500 to support wellness practices for the applying individual and/or organization.
The QMF spring 2020 application cycle is now closed. Please sign up for our mailing list to be notified when the fall 2020 cycle opens
We are happy to answer any questions you have about the application! To submit a video application, complete an application by phone, or ask us a question, please contact: email@example.com
Sign Up to Receive QMF Updates!